Sewing Fun

19:39


We own a book called Make a Monster. It has a lot of really cute patterns for toys to sew out of fleece.

The other day Mum pulled the book out and told me that she would help me sew a toy from it. I was very excited. 

I picked up the book and flicked through the pages until I found the toy I wanted: a cute little toy with funny ears.

My first toy

"Do you want to go down to the shops for some fabric?" Mum asked me.

"Oh yes please," I answered and I ran for my shoes. 

Gemma-Rose had also decided she wanted to make a toy and so together, Mum,Gemma-Rose and I set out to the shops for fabric.


Me and my first toy

It turned out to be just the right day for sewing as the fabric shop was having a sale. We rushed over to the fleece section of the shop to choose the fabrics we needed.

"I want green and pink for my dinosaur," Gemma-Rose said. Mum hunted out a nice lime green coloured fabric and a bright pink one.

Gemma-Rose's first toy

"What colours would you like?" Mum asked me. I looked at all the wonderful colours. It was so hard to choose.

"Could I have that dark purple and bright orange please?" I asked. Mum agreed and we walked off to the counter with our arms full of fleece.


Gemma-Rose and her first toy

Straight after lunch we settled down to sew. Mum helped us cut out our pieces and then left us to it. 

I spent a happy afternoon sewing my toy together. It was a really easy one and so it was done before dinner. The toy looks really cute.

My second toy

Gemma-Rose's toy was a little harder and it took her two days to finish hers, but it looked wonderful when it was finished. She is a really good seamstress. I wish I could have sewn like her when I was her age.


Me and my second toy

After our success at our toys we wanted to make more. Mum was all willing to help. She cut us out some more pieces and we started to sew.

While we sewed Mum read to us. Sewing is a wonderful thing to do while Mum is reading because it doesn't take your mind off the story.


Gemma-Rose and her second toy

It took me a little longer to finish my toy this time because it was a harder one. Gemma-Rose ended up finishing her toy before me. But I don't care. I had a lot of fun sewing my toy. I can't wait to sew some more. 

You Might Also Like

6 Comments

  1. Your toys look gorgeous!
    My 13 year old son and I have a tradition of him reading to me at night after the younger children are in bed while I knit or embroider. So I know how nice it is to be read to and have your hands busy with something wonderful.
    I haven't visited your blog before, I'm impressed! I'll sign up as a follower so I can keep up to date with all the interesting things you do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following my blog. I love to get new followers.
      I had a lot of fun making the toys and I am glad you like them. I think I like the purple one best.

      Delete
  2. They are so cute!! I love your second one. You've inspired me - I'm gettin' out my needle and thread tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I like my first one best. I can't wait to see what you make on your blog.

      Delete
  3. Sophie,

    Lovely toys! I love sewing. I will ask Mum if she will buy the book for me. You are a great sewer.

    Thank you so much for following. I am so I didn't visit your blog before this, but my brothers were on the computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The toys would not have been half such a success without Mum though.
      I hope you post pictures of your toys on your blog. I bet they will be really nice.
      Thank you for following.

      Delete